Cut Wedding Costs:
4 Ways to Say ‘I do’ to Big Savings
How to Stretch Your Dollar All the Way Down the Aisle
By Meghan S.
1) Use Your Network to Save on Costs: Get by with a little help from your friends
- Save on Wedding Invitations: $659 Ask your friend in graphic design if they’d be willing to draft some simple invitations. They may even have access to deep printing discounts! According to the Bridal Association of America, this alone could save an average of $659.
- Save on Music: $100-$1,250 Rather than worrying about dropping big bucks on background music to be played during the ceremony, see if your college roommate can strum the guitar for a few songs
- Save on Officiating: $500 Save a bundle by having a loved one preside over the wedding rather than paying a stranger to do it. Sites like The American Marriage Ministries make it so easy to do, that this trend is one of the fastest growing in the wedding industry today. In fact, according to the TheKnot.com, a staggering 43 percent of couples opted to have a friend conduct the ceremony in 2016
Coupling the skills of your friends with inspiration from others may provide a whole new way to cut back on wedding spending while adding some flair to the event. You’ll not only be surprised at how much can be saved, but how unique and special the day will be as a result.
2) Use the Web to Save Even More: Get digital
- Save on wedding consultant: $1,750- $3,500 average (5-10% of total wedding cost) No need to feel like someone else should be managing every detail. Sites like WeddingWire help with finding the perfect venue, while others such as Mint provide a platform to keep spending on track.
- Save on photo booth: $350 If you find that your creative juices are flowing more freely than your cash, use Pinterest to explore a plethora of DIY wedding ideas. Creating a simple but quirky photo booth could save a whopping $350 on rentals! And since this trend is picking up steam with each new wedding season, you won’t want to go without!
- Save on flowers: $2,450 average Discover the land of Etsy. From homemade corsages to adorable centerpieces, you can find almost anything you need for a fraction of what you’ll pay elsewhere. Using this for flowers alone could save up to 7% of the total wedding cost!
- Cover any remaining costs with a wedding fundraiser: $Priceless Just think, the bridal party is already responsible for a long list of things leading up to the wedding. Starting a campaign to cover all of the bases could lighten the weight of those obligations, too. Bridal shower? Check. Bachelor party? Check. One convenient space to get all the funds you need to make it work? Total victory. Use GoFundMe’s crowdfunding for weddings technology to raise the much-needed funds for the special day and all of the other occasions that come along with it.
Here’s a look at inspiring ways others have used GoFundMe to bring their wedded whims to life:
From butterflies of love to the whole darn zoo!
A walk in the clouds
When more than just hearts are stolen
3) Use your Network to Give to Others: Get philanthropic
Ghana change the world together
These young sweethearts reached out to their wedding guests by creating a campaign to fund the building of a new school in Ghana for the New Life International Orphanage that Zoe’s been involved in since her high school days. In less than a year, they raised over $35,000 which has gone to buy supplies, fund their trip abroad to oversee the construction, and to pay the wages for those helping to build this amazing project from the ground up!
Navigating the world and healing with humor
4) Wedding Fundraising: Feeling inspired? Let’s get started!
We want to help you tell that story so that the process is as seamless as possible. There are tools to help you get started, and our Customer Happiness Department works 24/7 to answer any questions you may have along the way.
Whether you’re looking to raise funds to pay for your own wedding, are the best man or maid of honor looking for a way to get organized, or you simply know an engaged couple that could use the extra help, our team is here to support you in making your campaign a success. Start a GoFundMe Wedding or Honeymoon campaign today and see how you, too, can bring life to a dream.