The Ultimate Guide to Raising Money for Cheerleading
2,4,6,8: Get the funds needed so your Cheer Team can participate
By Meghan S.
Bank account need a Spotter? Explore your options for financial support from established organizations.
- Tuition assistance: Check out Top Cheer’s website to see if your school offers any scholarships or tuition discounts. Offering anywhere from a few hundred dollars a semester to full-tuition scholarships for cheerleaders, there’s plenty of potential for assistance; as we’re sure you know, every little bit helps!
- Grants and stipends: The Women’s Sports Foundation offers multiple grants that all focus on developing athleticism and team spirit as young women learn to navigate life.
- Sponsorships: Cheer Power, a self-proclaimed “trailblazer in the cheer industry” provides a plethora of opportunities for raising and saving cash on all things cheer related. Whether it’s a sponsorship of a single athlete, a coach of the year award, or a bid for an entire team to compete amongst their peers, this organization has their pulse on the industry and wants to help you get a leg up on the competition!
Teamwork Makes the Dream Work: Utilize your community by hosting events that will keep the funds flowing and the momentum going
- Bake cookies! Hold a bake sale during the school day or at your next big game. Parents, faculty, and fellow students can pitch in to help chip away at the price tag of things like travel, room and board, and uniforms.
- Create crafts! Have a craft party with your squad-mates and utilize those talented siblings and parents to help make some of your cheer props like bows and pom poms, or even create some incredible tye dye shirts to sell at the next pep rally or at an event especially for your squad!
- Scrub cars! Take advantage of summer weather and hold car washes in the off-season! School may not be in session, but September comes up faster than you can say double cupie, so grab a sponge and get ready to wax on, wax off!
Get a Leg up on the Competition: Share your skills and your dreams with the world by creating your own GoFundMe campaign.
Bake sales and car washes are fantastic resources, but there are larger-scale methods of raising the funds you need from your extended network. GoFundMe is an amazing platform designed to help you get the word out using the social media network that you already have. Take a look at some of the incredible ways other cheer squads have used this site to bring their wildest dreams to fruition.
The cheer squad at Unity Prep Charter School in Brooklyn, New York also had their hearts set on making it to Nationals in Florida but were without the means to make it down the coast on their own. Coach Tatiana Melani stepped up to make her young Panther’s dreams come true and encouraged her kids to be creative and interact with their donors on the GoFundMe campaign she put together. They posted video updates to keep people engaged and express their gratitude when the money started to roll in. (They even did a pretty awesome Mannequin Challenge just for the fun of it!) While they didn’t make their entire goal, the team was thrilled to get over 50% of their hotel and registration costs covered and even received a shout-out from the one and only Ellen DeGeneres via Twitter!
Spring Into Action: Start a GoFundMe Sports Fundraiser today.